Mobile First Indexing is creating a buzz in the world of digital marketing in 2018. All blogs and articles are giving you advice on hows, whys and whats of Google’s latest roll-out. But, everybody is talking about what is to be done. Nobody is telling the precise steps you need to take.
Here, is the checklist for Google Mobile First Indexing that every marketer and business owner should have and follow.
A. Mobile Version Configuration
The first thing on the list is to check if the mobile version of the website is in either of the below mentioned configuration:
Responsive Web Design
Separate URLs (m-dot or mobile site)
If not, then you know the answer – get one.
B. Load Time and Page Speed
Every digital marketer worth his salt knows the importance of load time and page speed. This is built into the markup of any good digital transformation. Strategies for Mobile First Indexing SEO will be no different. Here is a list of things you need to check:
1. Check and optimize mobile load time
Tools such as Pingdom or GT Metrix can be used to determine load time and scope of optimization for the mobile version of the website
2. Check and optimize with Google PageSpeed Insights
Google’s tools including Google PageSpeed Insights, Google Analytics, etc.,are essential to check for page speed on mobile.
A. Meta Tags and all Other Tags
Once again, every online marketing individual and agency knows the high importance of Tags in content creation and SERP rankings. You cannot ignore your Meta Data and other tags when optimizing for Mobile First Indexing 2018.
1. Check and optimize the meta tags for mobile version You may have the title and descriptions of your website ready, but what needs to be checked is – are they present and accessible to the mobilebot.
2. Check and optimize the alt tags for mobile version It is estimated that nearly 70% of the users are using their smartphones for searches. It is imperative the alt
tags of images should be accessible to the mobilebot.
3. Check and optimize structured data or schema tags for mobile version The desktop version of you site may have optimized for schema tags. But for Mobile First Indexing SEO to work schema tags or structured data should also be readable in mobile version (or on the mobile site).
B. Mobile Friendliness
1. Check and optimize the website for mobile friendliness Before you begin implementing the changes, it is time to check the mobile-friendliness of your website by using Google’s Mobile Friendly test tool. The tool will give you an accurate direction required to achieve optimal mobile-friendliness.
2. Check and resolve mobile usability errors Use the Mobile Usability in Google Search Console to check and resolve any errors with regards to mobile usability of the website design.
In conclusion, we all know, mobiles are an extension of our daily lives. Responsive website designs enable activities from information seeking, meeting deadlines, personal shopping, social conversations, etc.on the move. The latest roll-out is just the beginning of several major changes we can expect in the next couple of years with regards to Internet marketing